Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday Evening News

It was a long week today for Jessica and me. I was reminded again of how much I hate to wait and my internal need to be doing something at all times to correct an existing issue. I was also reminded how much my daughter is like me in those regards. Judi continues to take baby steps in the forward direction. Every single one of the medical team members (from the top to the bottom) continues to tell us it will take time and we have to be patient. We continue to talk with her, read to her, play her favorite music, read her your comments from the blog, etc. to help her focus her mind and heal. I know in my heart that this is the right therapy, but both of us are struggling with the desire to do something that physically helps speed her recovery.

An ultrasound was performed on her legs to ensure there were no blood clots forming - all clear there. A PIC line (peripherally inserted catheter) was inserted in her left arm which will provide longer term access for drugs and testing and minimize the need for multiple "sticks."

Her back surgery continues to be driven by the concern over the strength of her heart. Her blood pressure and heart rate will be fine for 24-48 hrs and then have a transient. Some of you probably know she had problems in this arena prior to the accident and her present condition only aggravates the condition. Jessica and I are faced with some fairly simple realities here. The back surgery is a major surgery in and of itself. She will definitely lose blood as part of the surgery. If her heart is not strong enough to support her under these abnormal conditions, she could have another brain impacting event (or worse) that she would most likely not recover from. Although all of us want to see her back stabilized, in her current physical and mental state the existing condition presents a much lower risk to her long term recovery than going to surgery unless we are confident she is ready. We will continue to evaluate on a daily basis and go when the time is right.

Steve

PS - Jessica was tired from her trip and being with Judi and me most of the day and will take over tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Folks in Saltstone are praying for Judi and you folks as well. Nothing more important than you just being there for her.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judi:

    I had a dream about you last night! We were at work and there was a group of us talking about a blogsite. You said you didn't understand what we were talking about and I turned to you and said, "Judi, it was just like the blog that Steve and Jessica did for you while you were out...HEY! Wait a minute! Y ou're BACK!" It was sooooooo funny and everyone laughed at me for not noticing that you were back at work already. You know how NOBODY tells me anything around here and I have to find out everything by accident. I took this to mean that you will be back here at work in no time. We all miss you and can't wait to hear your sweet voice again soon.
    Love,
    Tammy Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Judi...

    Just checking in to let you know we are all still here, pulling for you every step of the way.

    My WW visit is coming up tomorrow night and I am not too excited about it. Mary Ellen sent "Hungry", the little WW mascot home with me this week and he and I have not had such a great week. I miss having my buddy with me on the back row, encouraging me!
    Hurry back.....Nancy and I NEED you!

    Take care my friend!

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judi-
    I know while you're laying there recovering you have to be dreaming about some of the great scuba diving adventures you, Steve and Jessica have had in the past.....so relaxing... Please know that my prayers are with you and your family right now so concentrate on getting better every day.....
    Rob Bissell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judi,
    I hope you had a peaceful and restful Mother's Day. You were in my thoughts the whole day. I am wearing the bracelet you gave me every day. It seems to make me feel a little closer to you. Continue to rest and grow strong taking 1 little baby step at a time. I wish at this point there was more that I could do for you. It is frustrating from my end. Please know that you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. You are a fighter. Keep fighting.
    love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about you girl. I know you can keep fighting like you are, and hope to see that sjiling face soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi All,
    As long as we make baby steps in the right direction we're making progress! Hang in there! Love you all,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete