Sunday, July 26, 2009

Judi's surgery Friday went very well. The drain is 'perfectly placed,' to quote one of the neurosurgeons, and seems to be performing its job. We've peeked under her bandages and were startled by how different her head looks. This led to some speculation that she might have been dealing with some of this fluid buildup for quite a while. The doctors agreed that she might have.

I bring this up because one of the issues that arises from hydrocephalus (fluid building up in the head) is that it can negatively affect cognition. We're hoping that she will come back better than before when she's fully recovered.

Right now she is still pretty tired and probably very confused. The doctors had to paralyze her for part of the surgery, as well as reopen her trach and put her back on the ventilator. We think she is really focused on the ventilator again and probably wondering why in the world she's attached to it again after being without it for so long. Also, we were laughing a little to think that for the last few weeks we've been telling her to breathe through her nose and mouth, and now she can't because of the vent. They are weaning her back off it again, though, and she should be back on her own soon.

So that's where we are right now. We're not sure what will happen in the next few days - if she will go back to Walton or go out onto the floor or what. We will keep you posted. Thanks for your prayers and support!

8 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the surgery went well. You have all been, and will continue to be, in our prayers.

    Shauna Occhipinti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update :) I am so glad everything went as planned. Tell Judi "way to go!!"...thoughts and prayers will continue for her, and the two of you as well. Julie S. (Jules)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. We are really glad the surgery went well. All of you are in our prayers.

    Greg & Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM SO GLAD THE SURGERY WENT WELL.WE ARE STILL PRAYING FOR A FULL RECOVERY.THANKS FOR KEEPING US INFORM.

    SHARON DON AND TIFFANY HAMMETT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so glad to hear that Judi's surgery went well. I continue to offer up prayers for all of you.
    Angie Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just heard about Judi's accident this past weekend when I was told about this blog. I was one of her instructors in the Motorcycle Safety Course. First, I am so sorry to hear about this accident. I will keep her and her family in my thoughts and prayers. During the short time that I had to get to know Judi...I recognized a couple of things about her that I feel like sharing with you all. First, she LOVED motorcycles....that was apparent. Second, she was quite the leader... she was unofficially the class leader in her class. Never hesitated to share her knowledge or experiences with the other new riders, helping to explain things to those students that didn't understand. And finally, and most importantly for this forum, she struck me as someone who doesn't quit and keeps on fighting until she gets what she wants.....
    I hope the best for a full and speedy recovery and, if there is anything that I can do for her or the family, please don't hesitate to ask.

    Paul Burks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve and Jessica,
    Keep hanging in there. I know that it has been a VERY LONG road but I think that Judi will come through this. She's been so tough for this length of time. I think she's a real fighter!!!! You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Pamela Basey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judi and family continue to be in my prayers. I know God has special plans for her. We miss you at WW on Wednesday evening but your seat is always ready for you.

    Joyce,(WW Receptionist)

    ReplyDelete