Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Good News

Judi will be heading up to Shepherd on Thursday to begin rehabilitation. There was a little doubt today as to whether that would happen sooner rather than later. However, late this afternoon they confirmed that there was a bed for her starting Thursday. We have heard great things about Shepherd and are hoping that this is going to be the start of a whole new era, so to speak.

Also, Judi's tracheostomy was capped off Sunday night, meaning that she is breathing entirely on her own through her upper airway. She was 'snoring' most of yesterday because she was only breathing through her nose for some reason. If she can manage breathing on her own for 72 hours, the doctor will give the go-ahead to pull the trach out. One less piece of hardware to worry about!

This also opens the possibility to start eating again. She will have to do what is called a swallow test, to ensure that she is swallowing and not aspirating. I believe she will be very happy indeed to have something yummy in her mouth after all this time.

Anyway, the next few days may be a little hectic but when she is moved and settled, we will update to let you know how things are up there!

8 comments:

  1. Yay! One more step in the right direction.
    Judi, we are still pulling for you and miss you. Glad that you are making great strides...keep up the good work.


    Gayle Crawford
    Wednesday WW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing you my dear friend and continuing to pray for you daily.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judi! Nancy from WW ..I've been keeping up with your progress but have fallen short on writing...I wondered if maybe it might be an idea for a newspaper to be saved for you, on a daily basics so that when you were able, maybe you would like to catch up on the dailey news? It was just a thought......Don't Know If It Is a good or bad Idea...Just an Idea...I"ll be checking on your progress untill we can talk again...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. JUDI
    I AM SO GLAD YOUR PROGRESS IS GETTING BETTER. I REALLY BELIEVE YOU WILL DO WONDERS AT SHEPARD. WE ARE STILL PRAYING FOR YOU. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

    SHARON DON AND TIFFANY HAMMETT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish you all the best.I know that it has been a journey for you.I have really enjoyed taking care of my favorite patient.(JUDI) and I hate to see her go..but I know that it is for the best.I will start reading this from time to time.Because I care about you all.Please be patient .Good things are headed your way.Please keep in touch.I will greatly miss yall.Good Luck! Much LOVE to you! *JEN*

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news! God is in this...He knows the perfect place the perfect time and He will appoint the perfect staff to surround Judi. She will have quite a story to tell. She'll be singing "I feel Good"...very soon! Praise the Lord!
    Mary Ellen Smith
    WW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judi,
    I am sitting at work thinking of you and missing you. I am so excited to hear that you are going to hotlanta!! You are going to do great. Go kick some butt! Love ya girl!!
    Heather Evans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve and Jessica,
    If the nurses in Atlanta are one half as good as Judi, then she'll be in great hands! Next week will be one year since Brent passed away, but he never would have made it the two years he did without the care he received from Judi (from the 1st phone call about and oncologist) and the other great nurses and all the prayers. Judi is one strong lady. Keep up your spirits and strength. God loves you all and hears our prayers for Judi.
    Nancy Smith

    ReplyDelete