Monday, November 9, 2009

Making Progress Slow and Steady

Judi continues to grow stronger physically and mentally.

The standing frame is already paying benefits. She enjoys standing and is able to work on other skills at the work table simultaneously. I think this allows her to stand longer since she is focused on other things and her body goes to its natural position.

Judi's awareness level continues to improve as evidenced by her reaction to things that go on and/or are said around her. We are also starting to have some success with yes/no responses using the new switch system with audible feedback. We still have a long way to go there, but we are encouraged by what we are seeing.

Judi is eating well and she has no difficulty swallowing or managing what she is eating now. I suspect we will do another swallow study in the next week or so and I believe the restriction on having to thicken her liquids will be removed. I think she will also be able to begin eating foods that have not been "chopped up" quite so much. She does a good job feeding herself and the independence is obviously good for her. We'll also evaluate what to do with the PEG after the next study. There are some distinct advantages to keeping it, but it does present a source of infection still and she has become increasingly interested in pulling on it.

Thanx to everyone for the continued support and prayers.

Steve

7 comments:

  1. Steve, thank you for the update. Take care. Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Judi is so strong. Wow...I can only imagine her story when she begins to talk. I feel a book is on the way! Steve...thank you for the update. Prayers continue. I'm still involved with my mom's progress and hope to see you soon.
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that my dear friend is progressing. Prayer remains a powerful thing and Judi it proof positive that it works! Please give her a big hug for me and tell her I love her, pray for her daily, and hopt to come visit soon. Love to you and Jessica... Don't hesitate to call if you need anything.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judith Davis-CrenshawNovember 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM

    Judi,

    I think of you often. You are in my prayers and I know God is continually blessing you and your family.

    I love you!

    Judith Davis-Crenshaw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still praying for you all.
    Angie Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judi & Steve You Can Do This!
    Judi was my nurse when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer and she tugged me along the way. From the moment I heard about her accident from Beverly prayers have been rocketing in her direction. Patience and healing will step you through this process.
    Never ever look back charge forward!
    With Love Barbara Barman

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey guys! I am still thinking about Ms.Judy and praying for yall. I have almost survived my 1st semester in the master's program, and the girls just got their tonsils out this week and doing well. Trauma is almost exactly the same! Hope Jessica's teaching is going well. I know her students just love her!

    ReplyDelete