Sunday, October 4, 2009

Things Are Moving Fast

Just a short post this week.

Judi's therapy sessions are going well and we continue to make progress. We were able to get a mat table where she can do a huge number of exercises focused on strengthening her "core." Thanx to Michelle Jones for allowing us to borrow one for a while. We are in the process of getting her a standing frame to use at home. Hopefully we can find one to rent since they are so expensive, but the benefit is potentially so great for her we will buy one if necessary. These two pieces allow us to focus a lot of "load bearing" exercises to her left side which is the traditional therapy to activate the nerves in these extremities.

Judi continues to eat well and improve at eating on her own (most days). We hope to have her off the tube feeding next week. We will probably keep the PEG in until she is capable of eating/drinking all consistencies. This provides a reliable method to ensure she gets her medications and a backup to feed her if necessary.

I think we have figured out why she isn't talking. She has difficulty opening her mouth when you ask her to (e.g. to brush teeth). When it is a reflex (e.g. yawning), she opens it fine so we know there is no mechanical reason. She is very vocal, but most of the time she keeps her mouth closed. We'll keep working here to help her restore that control and maybe that will open the "flood gates."

Mentally Judi continues to grow. She clearly understands most of what goes on around her and memories are returning at an increased pace. We have started looking at picture albums from way back to the time when we started dating. She stays totally focused on these and there are tears at times as well. I'll admit it brings back some emotional memories for me as well. We continue to work numbers, colors, shapes and letters and she is doing very good in this area. We have still not been able to establish a consistent "yes/no" system where she can communicate with us.

I plan on going back to work the week of 10/12 unless something new comes up. That is going to be very hard for me to do for many reasons. I am eternally grateful for all of the support from my bosses and co-workers over the last several months. We have identified a wonderful lady to take care of Judi during the day while I am away. She is very experienced and will be able to help Judi a great deal. I'll also admit that I need to get some balance back in my life as well. If you want to visit, just drop me an e-mail so I can coordinate it. Most people tend to come at the end of the day, but if you can come during the day, she usually has more energy.

Thanx again everyone,
Steve

4 comments:

  1. Steve,
    You should check with the CSRA United Way, because they should be able to put you in the direction of some assistance or aid. That's what they are there for. Glad to hear things are getting much better. You all are in my prayers as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve
    I am so glad that judi is improving so well. she is a wonderful person and strong lady. we are continuing to pray for you all. thanks for the updates

    sharon don and tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all are doing okay. Thank you for keeping us updated. Julie S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue to lift you all up in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete