Thursday, September 3, 2009

Getting Better Every Day

A quick update on where we are.

Judi continues to do very well in rehab. Her trach is out and the stoma is already closed off and healing well. She is still struggling with talking on a regular basis. She will say a few words very softly, or mouth them, but has yet to master the Judi voice of old. She is very close though and we will continue to push her in this area. I am sure there is a flood ready to come when those gates open!

She is eating well and swallowing normally with the pureed foods and thickened liquids. She will have another swallow study on Wednesday of next week which will hopefully allow her to move into more food consistency options. I will tell you that thickened decaf coffee was NOT a hit. She is holding out for the real McCoy I think.

PT continues to go well and she is getting stronger every day. She is starting to push her wheelchair with her right hand in addition to her right foot. Her left side is still very weak, but we believe that with time she will grow stronger there as well. Her neck is getting much stronger and we continue to work on the "core" muscles to aid in sitting unassisted. We still have a ways to go here, but she is heading in right direction.

OT is going much better. Judi is recognizing colors and working some simple shape puzzles. The eye hand coordination continues to be the focus area since it requires a lot of processing to perform.

We are still not certain about Judi's schedule over the next few weeks. She has done so well that we want to make sure she stays long enough to maximize her benefits, but not too long that she becomes frustrated because she just plain can't do it yet. I still believe we will be home in a week or two to allow her an opportunity to heal and continue to get stronger. She will continue to get therapy there as well. If you would like to come and visit, please send me an e-mail at swilk@knology.net and we will try and coordinate it. She enjoys having visitors, but I need to make sure we don't get too many (she still overloads easily) and that her rehab schedule accommodates it. Once she is home, it will be easier to come and visit.

I have to continually thank everyone for their continued support and prayers. I continue to find it in many unanticipated places. One of my co-workers has a loved one in the room next to Judi and she stopped by and provided me with a tremendous boost with her caring words and prayer. I went to the dentist this week to get some work done that I had put off because of Judi's injury and he took time out of his hectic day to stop and pray with me for our family (Dr. David Reid in case you need a good dentist who is also a good man). I hope this is not inappropriate for our blog, but I am also looking for a wheelchair accessible van. Ideally I would like to lease one for a few months because I am confident Judi will only be in a chair temporarily, but I will buy one if that is the only option. I don't plan on letting Judi stare at the walls. You all know how much we like to go and we are not going to let this stop us. If anyone has one or a possible contact, please send it to my e-mail above. We would greatly appreciate it.

Thanx again,
Steve

5 comments:

  1. Steve I am so glad to hear Judi is doing well. We had our bowling meeting last night and all the ladies were asking me about Judi. I told them that I have kept up with her with the blog. I want to thank you on the great job you have done with it. Tell Judi all the ladie at bowling send there prayers and look forward to seeing her real soon. Your bowling friend Deborah Turner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, glad to hear Judi is progressing. (And, I cannot blame her-thickened decaf does not sound good at all :) ) I do not know of an available van as you described, but if I find one, wil let you know via e-mail. Julie (Jules)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Praise the Good Lord!! He has Judi in His Healing hands and also in His timing!!!
    What grand news!!!
    Mary Ellen
    WW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy about the wonderful progress that Judi is making. Please tell her we are all still pulling for her and hope to see her soon.

    Gayle Crawford

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell Judi I'm proud of her progress and to keep up the good work. I don't know you Steve but you're a terrific man to be such a strong support for Judi, she's a very lucky woman. I'm wishing you both the very best. Keep it up.
    Love Deanna

    ReplyDelete