Friday, September 24, 2010

Pickin' Up Speed

It has been a busy few weeks (seems like they all are these days)!

The stitches were removed from her incision and it has completely healed. I watched that like a hawk to ensure we didn't get any additional issues and that it closed as soon as possible. Her hair is growing fast and is very thick. Judi always wanted thicker hair - I'll remind her one day that she picked a difficult way to get there.

We have completed the IV antibiotics and now she is on an 8 week dose of oral antibiotics to make absolutely sure that there is no infection remaining. Getting the catheter (PIC) removed from her arm turned out to be quite the circus. I'll spare you the details, but we ultimately had to take her to Augusta Vascular Center to get it removed. It did not dawn on me at the time, but this is the center where many of Judi's co-workers from her Radiology Intervention days at University Hospital had gone to work. I understand that they had a good reunion and I am sure it was good medicine for Judi. I think it is always a little difficult for others to know if Judi truly recognizes them or not, but I believe that she does because I always see a change in her behavior after these types of encounters. Judi's awareness level is very keen, it is her input/output ability that she is struggling with. I continue to believe that one of these encounters will be what pulls Judi across the gap just out of the blue one day. I encourage you to come and visit when you can even if it is just a few minutes. I know that inside she probably feels a little isolated and those of you that know Judi also know that she loves to be in the middle of everything!

We have resumed neurofeedback (NF) training at home and we made our first trip back to NC last week. We have decided to limit the training to what I call the "stabilizing sites" for the next few weeks while Judi continues to regain her energy following the surgery. She is starting to engage more, but is still far from where she was before the surgery.

Judi is starting to hold her head up for longer periods of time. It is clear though that she does it when she wants to. When she wants to withdraw, she will drop her head and act like she is asleep. I can usually tell when she is "playing possum" or just plain tuckered out. We'll keep working here since it is so critical for her longer term well being.

Judi's swallowing has improved significantly and she is moving from pureed to courser ground foods. Thanx to Rebecca and Joel Cantrell for the awesome baked ziti and homemade cheesecake (both are on Judi's list of favorites). Judi enjoyed both a great deal (Jess and I too!). We are still struggling to get Judi to feed herself, but as long as she is eating well we can take our time here.

Rehab is going OK. We are still having issues with energy level and desire to engage/participate, but it is getting a little better each trip. She is standing again in the standing frame at rehab and at home as well. This is probably the most important physical activity for her since it engages so many muscles and holds the best potential for restoring use of her left leg long term. I am hoping that completion of the IV antibiotics will restore some of her energy.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Judi and I both are drawing heavily on the strength they bring us. I'll be straight up with all of you and let you know that I don't think I could make it without the strength that seems to come when I close my eyes and ask God to help me make it one more day. We suffered a setback with the infection, but after all we have been through this is just a bump in the road.

Steve

2 comments:

  1. Please know that I continue to send up prayers for you, Judi, and Jessica.
    Angie Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the updates on Judi I check back every day or so to see if you have any updated news. I keep you and Judi in my prayers everyday. Please tell Judi we are still looking forward to her return on Wednesday evenings for bowling and we can't wait. It is not the same with out her. Keeping yall in my prayers your friend Deborah Turner

    ReplyDelete