Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010 - A Year of Promise

Happy New Year to everyone!

I hope that Santa was good to everyone and that you had a chance to spend some quality time with family and friends. I have tried to be candid on this blog, so I am just going to say it was a very difficult time for our little family. We got through it and I am looking forward to a better year in 2010. I am doubly blessed to have Judi as my wife and Jessica as my daughter. Once again, I could never have survived this holiday period without Jess' help and love. 'Nuff said.

Therapy is going very well for Judi. She is gaining a LOT of ground physically and continues to slowly recover mentally. We have stopped using the hydraulic lift to move Judi between her wheelchair and other locations. She is able to stand with assistance to transfer now. This has a bit of a snowball effect for her. The more she stands, the stronger she gets and the more her brain "recognizes" that her left side is there. She is clearly regaining control of her left side and we hope it is only a matter of time before her strength is restored there as well. We are concerned about her left arm due to the contraction that she continues to exhibit. I have spent countless hours trying to prevent it and hopefully it will continue to improve.

In OT, the biggest challenge is keeping her interested. Judi gets a little frustrated with the tasks they ask her to perform because she thinks they are silly (my opinion). I have been working with her to perform the same movements concealed as normal activities and she does great. For example, they ask her to reach out and put a peg in the board, I get her to do the same thing asking for a hug. I compare the two and think she is finally warming up to what they are trying to accomplish.

Speech continues to be up and down for us. She is VERY vocal and continues to get stronger and stronger here. The problem is the neck continues to limit her ability to grow. She is a veritable chatterbox when she is laying down, but when she sits up it is more difficult due to the neck muscle interaction. We'll keep working.

Mentally she is still improving as well. The "yes/no" questioning is definitely getting better. I am starting to wonder if it is more an issue of making a choice as opposed to answering correctly. She clearly struggles when presented with a situation where she has to make a choice. I am not sure if she is struggling with "how" to make a choice or the fear of making the "wrong" choice. Those of you that know Judi well, also know the perfectionist she can be and this could be the real issue. We'll continue to work on this and see if we can refine it further. She has turned into an interesting conversationalist when she sleeps. We believe that she is dreaming a lot and that is a VERY good sign. All of these things point to an increase in mental activity. At times she also moves around a lot so I have to keep a close eye on her to ensure she remains safe.

I am looking forward to great things from 2010 and wish great things for each of you as well. I believe that Judi will make a full recovery with our continued support and prayers. Thank you all again and hopefully Judi will tell you herself very soon.

Steve

7 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW AND HEALTHY YEAR TO JUDI, STEVE AND JESSICA!!!!!! Wow! Such progress! It must seem like an eternity to you and just look what Judi has accomplished BECAUSE of your love and passion for her. Standing??!!!! Fabulous!!!
    Stronger??!! Great!!! Such good news. God will continue to keep His Great Healing hands on Judi and I pray peace and strength for you both. Judi's name is on my mirror and I pray and think about her every day. My plan is to visit soon...I will make sure it's a good time for you. We have used Right At Home since October and Thank You Steve for the recommendation. I'm still very involved in my Mom's care so my time is still at a premium with working too. Hope that changes soon...I want to visit!!!
    Blessings and Healing
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to send up prayers for all of you daily. I, too, pray that 2010 will bring you an overabundance of blessings..blessings that are so well deserved.
    Angie Jones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, you and Jessica are hanging tough and Judi sounds to be doing soooo much better. Granted the little things are tough right now but before long I am praying that you all are the perfect family again. My prayers are with you all each day in hopes that things start looking brighter each day. God works in mysterious ways sometimes but I am positive that in the work he does for each and every one of us. Keep up the GREAT work and keep Judi working with her eye on the prize. It's coming!!!!!! Have a great New Year.
    Pam Basey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,
    Bob Barton wants me to forward this Blog onto him. Do you mind? Fran wants your telephone number. Email me back
    vbiermann@mchsi.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve and Jessica
    I am so glad Judy is improving. You all are such a strong family. We will continue the prayers and I know it will be a good 2010 year for all of you.

    sharon don and tiff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear Judi is making progress. I wish you all the best and the achievement of many milestones this next year. Judi's progress is due to yours and Jessicas dedication and hard work. I will keep you all in my prayers.
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spoke with Karen @ work the other day & asked her if she knew how Judi was doing. I've kept your blog on my computer & found myself here tonight to read for myself. I'm so very glad that she is taking steps forward, even if some of them aren't straight, they are steps forward!!! I remember long talks w/Judi when I worked with her in Special's and how much you & Jessica mean to her!!! I think & pray for you all quite often and hope 2010 meets needs & expectations!!
    God Bless,

    Jeanne Plant

    ReplyDelete