Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chatterbox

Judi has finally started to talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying not to get too pumped, but I have waited a long time to hear her speaking voice again and I can't describe the impact this has had on Jessica and me. Before everyone gets too excited, the words she is saying are not understandable so we still have a long way to go. I can tell what she is saying in many cases based on what we are talking about and her response when I repeat it back to her. The key here is that she is mastering the mechanics of talking as opposed to speaking specific words. I have been in full cheerleader mode the last couple of weeks in this area. It appears that the BOTOX shots are helping a great deal with her neck control and very possibly in this area as well. She talks more when she is in bed than in her wheelchair which I believe is related to the strain (or lack of) on the muscles in her neck/jaw. We have been spending an hour or so each night with her in bed and talking about the tremendous accomplishments she has made. I usually walk away with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes.

We have still not started outpatient rehab yet, but it typically takes a couple of weeks I have learned before things really get rolling in earnest. I hate waiting, but I have her in the Steve rehab program to prevent her from losing ground from where she was when the home health program came to a conclusion. We actually have a lot of fun doing these things together. The key thing I am looking for here is getting her up and walking with the necessary support equipment as soon as possible. I told her that what I wanted for Christmas was a walking and talking wife and I am holding out hope that we can get there.

The other areas are continuing to improve as previously discussed. She is eating great and continues to improve from an awarenes perspective. Yes/no response is still an area we are struggling in, but is getting better. She had a routine CT scan Tuesday and we have a follow up appointment with her neurosurgeon in a couple weeks to evaluate her progress to date. I suspect he will be surprised at where she is today compared to the last time he saw her.

I'll follow up as soon as we transition to outpatient rehab and the Dr. weighs in. I hate to keep asking, but please keep praying for us. I am convinced more and more every day that God has his hand on Judi's shoulder as a result of all the prayers she is receiving.

Thank you all again!
Steve

8 comments:

  1. Steve and Jessica, you both are doing such a terrific job and thank you for keeping up the blog. Judi has been on my mind alot the last couple of days, I'm glad to hear she's progressing so well. We worked together at UH special procedures for a couple of years, I am another one of the nurses. I miss her chatter and am glad to hear she's regaining that skill. I am keeping her and you in my prayers. I hope you get what you want for Christmas. You'll have to tell Judi that Deanna got married a couple of months ago, I met a woderful man, he's a soldier and just got sent to Belgium and I will be moving there in the upcomming months. She'll get a kick out Thanks again for the update. Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I am so happy for all of you that Judi is starting to speak again. Don't ever be hesitant to ask for prayers - that's the only thing that gets us through life - through the good times and the bad. I will continue to pray for all of you and I sincerely hope that your Christmas wish comes true.
    Angie Jones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve I will always keep Judi in my prayers and I truly beleive that you wish for Christmas will come true with all the prays she has. It will only be a matter of time before we have the old Judi back. Have a Merry Christmas. Your Friend Deborah Turner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve
    I am so glad to hear Judi is talking. I know once she gets started she will have lots to tell. I truly believe your wish will come true. We will always keep praying for Judy I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
    Thanks for the up dates

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABULOUS NEWS!!!! Go Judi Go!!!! She has a lot to tell everyone...we can't wait to hear it!
    Prayers work..don't they? It's in the waiting that we get weary. We will pray on!
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thrilled to hear of Judi's progress. You obviously can't keep a good woman down!
    We will continue to keep all of you in our prayers. That is one thing that never runs out, they are always around in abundance.

    Keep up the good work Judi, Jessica and Steve. You may all be in for a true Christmas Miracle.

    Gayle Crawford

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!!! A testimony to God's love and your faithfulness. What a relief to see Judi's progress and to know she is well on her way to restoration. Ps 46:5 "God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her at the turning of the morning."

    Keep on standing, You are not alone. Dwayne Berry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea!!!!!!!!! :) Go Judi! Steve, blessings to you and Jess for your strength,courage, and faith. Jules

    ReplyDelete